[swift-evolution] [Pitch] KeyPath based map, flatMap, filter

Karl Wagner razielim at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 06:09:43 CDT 2017

 I agree that it should be completely implicit.

KeyPaths are simply chains of partially-applied properties and subscripts. At the same time, it was noted in the KeyPath proposal that a similar mechanism might be used to model chains of partially-applied functions. I think that having both types be convertible to a closure would be sensible.

In fact, you could argue for a general-purpose “Executable” protocol which would allow any conforming object to be implicitly used as a function/closure. Command-style objects such as predictes and transformers would also benefit from such a feature.

- Karl