[swift-evolution] [Pitch] KeyPath based map, flatMap, filter

Robert Bennett rltbennett at icloud.com
Sat Jul 8 17:00:40 CDT 2017

I’m not sure about needing a universal promotion operator in Swift. However, in the case of KeyPaths, I think a leading $ (not currently a valid operator) would work well.

prefix operator $
prefix func $<T,U>(rhs: KeyPath<T,U>) -> (T)->U { return { $0[keyPath: rhs] } }

guys.map($\.name)

This reads really well to me because the $ is suggestive of the “functionization” of the KeyPath. Also, this is guaranteed to have no compatibility issues (right?) because it’s currently forbidden.

(I’m only suggesting giving the leading $ this functionality, not necessarily achieving this by making it a valid operator — in fact, it would probably be best if this functionality were “hard-coded” just as it is currently hard-coded for use in $0.)