[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Extending [at]autoclosure

Adrian Zubarev adrian.zubarev at devandartist.com
Sat Jul 1 17:17:28 CDT 2017

I clearly disagree with your point. Autoclosure supposed to be a syntactically convenience feature to omit braces, which as a consequence needs to disable arguments. However it is not said that you cannot pass a closure with the same signature to the autoclosure, which currently is not possible unless it’s another autoclosure. This doesn’t feel right at all.

func foo(_: @autoclosure () -> Void) {}

func bar(_ test: @autoclosure () -> Void) {
   foo(test) // works
}

let closure: () -> Void = {}

foo(closure) // error
Here is another example where autoclosure takes over and produces false result even when the correct overload is present but the resolution ends up picking an autoclosure.

extension Bool {

    /// #1
    func whenTrue(execute closure: () -> Void) {
        if self { closure() }
    }

    /// #2
    func whenTrue(execute closure: @autoclosure () -> Void) {
        if self { closure() }
    }

    /// #3
    func whenTrue<T>(execute closure: @autoclosure () -> T) -> T? {
        if self { return closure() }
        return nil

let test: () -> Void = { }
// #3 wins and produces a wrong type () -> (() -> Void)?, but I expect #1 here
// () -> Void?
true.whenTrue(execute: test)
A syntactical convenience feature should not disable explicitness!

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail