[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Introducing the "Unwrap or Die" operator to the standard library

Alan Westbrook alan at rockwoodsoftware.com
Wed Jun 28 19:43:29 CDT 2017

> On Jun 28, 2017, at 5:27 PM, Xiaodi Wu via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> In the initial example, repeated here in largely identical form, the desired comment is "array must be non-empty." In what way does that provide more information than a bare `!`?

I’m going to second this sentiment with the feeling that the message is seemingly redundant. It feels akin to the comment in this line of code:

    let value = 1 // This value is set to 1

On an error, one gets the trap with the optional unwrapped message, and goes to the code where they see what is being forced by assumption.

Does the message spelling out the code in natural language help?

Alan