[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Introducing the "Unwrap or Die" operator to the standard library

Jacob Williams ponyboy47 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 11:21:26 CDT 2017

> On Jun 28, 2017, at 10:13 AM, Tony Allevato <tony.allevato at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It's hard for me to articulate, but "foo !! message" feels a little too much like a Perl-ism for my taste. Objectively that's not a great criticism on its own, but I just don't like the "smell" of an operator that takes a value on one side and a string for error reporting purposes on the other. It doesn't feel like it fits the style of Swift. I prefer a version that makes the call to fatalError (and thus, any other non-returning handler) explicitly written out in code.
>
> So, if the language can already support this with ?? and autoclosure/Never as was shown above, I'd rather see that added to the language instead of a new operator that does the same thing (and is actually less general).

I do see your point, and pardon my lack of familiarity with deeper swift capabilities, but would it be possible to restrict the !! operator to @noreturn closures rather than a string and just always throwing a fatalError? This would require the !! operator to have the error type explicitly spelt out, while still honoring the sentiment of !. It would feel more swifty, and you’d get the clarity of knowing that !! is an unsafe operation and you’d know exactly what kind of error is being thrown.

And then ?? could be left as-is and only used for default values.