[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Introducing the "Unwrap or Die" operator to the standard library

Ben Cohen ben_cohen at apple.com
Wed Jun 28 10:41:26 CDT 2017

> On Jun 28, 2017, at 8:27 AM, David Hart via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Count me in as a strong proponent of ?? () -> Never. We don't need to burden the language with an extra operator just for that.

You could say the same about ??

The concern that an additional operator (and one that, IMO, fits well into existing patterns) is so burdensome seems way overweighted in this discussion IMO.

Adding the operator, and encouraging its use, will help foster better understanding of optionals and legitimate use of force-unwrapping in a way that I don’t think `?? fatalError` could.