[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Introducing the "Unwrap or Die" operator to the standard library

Dave DeLong delong at apple.com
Wed Jun 28 09:31:58 CDT 2017

From that point of view, shouldn’t we then be talking about removing the postfix unary operator “!”? With this proposal it could just as easily be replaced with: ?? fatalError(“failed nil check”). But I don’t think anyone would take that suggestion seriously, so why are we not taking the idea of !! seriously either?

I really like the idea of having both:

let last = array.last ?? fatalError(“Reason”) // () → Never
let last = array.last !! “Reason”

The first one fits with the idea of Nil Coalescing and explicitly failing because of a precondition failure. Or as Tony put it, it “leaves no other choice … but to do something that dies”. It leaves open the case of having the error removed at certain -O levels.

The second one fits with the idea of logical failure where the operator itself is doing the dying, just like the unary version. And, like the force unwrap operator, it wouldn’t be removed at -Ounchecked.

Dave