[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Associated Type and Generic One-to-One Mapping

David Moore mooredev at me.com
Tue Jun 27 16:26:22 CDT 2017

There are a few ways in which this issue could be addressed. The first, and most desirable approach in my opinion, would be full inferencing of a given associatedtype and a generic. An example of the foregoing would be the following:

protocol Foo {
    associatedtype ABC
}

struct Bar<ABC> : Foo {
    // Would normally require some sort of workaround to complete the typealias implementation of the protocol’s associatedtype, but it should be inferred in this case because there is no explicit typealias statement.
}

The inferencing would indeed take place in the above example. But now let’s consider the possibility of breaking source compatibility, as in, is this compatible or not?

struct Bar<ABC>: Foo {
    typealias ABC = ArbitraryType // An inference would not take place here because there’s nothing to infer. The associated type `ABC` is explicitly defined as being `ArbitraryType`.
}

The above method shall be referred to as Option #1. It would seem like Option #1 is source compatible, in addition to solving the original problem, and potentially introduces some connivence to protocol conformance. For all existing implementations of associatedtypes and so on, I don’t think Option #1 affects them at all, unless I’m completely missing something. So Option #1 seems like a good candidate.

Onto Option #2, the idea of using base types to express more explicit definitions to solve the initial problem. When it comes to using a base type to correctly disambiguate these types of situations, it may be familiar to some who like a more concrete implementation, although it eliminates possible convenience, but still requires knowledge. Options #2 would look something like the following.

protocol Foo {
 associatedtype ABC
}

struct Bar<ABC>: Foo {
 typealias Foo.ABC = Bar.ABC // Quite explicit and communicates the solution clearly.
}

Options #2, as you can see above, would also be source compatible because it would not impose on already defined typealias’ or other implementations. This could be an opt-in feature. However, I don’t know if it is as nice as just pure inference, which doesn’t seem too much more difficult than this would be, but I’m not sure about that.

There is also a third option (referred to as Option #3), which could be the combination of both Option #1 and Option #2. However, there may be some syntactically-based issues that can arise in such a situation.

Let me know what everyone thinks about these possible solutions, they are by no means concretely defined as of this time, but they could be useful.