[swift-evolution] [pitch] composition as part of the language

Jay Abbott jay at abbott.me.uk
Sun Jun 25 16:47:57 CDT 2017

Today I had a read through the various protocol forwarding threads in
December 2015, including Matthew Johnson's proposal, and some more recent
ones in which it was discussed.

I think the ideas are very similar in many ways - it's to improve the
experience of using composition and make it easier. The protocol forwarding
seems to be mostly about reducing boilerplate code, but I'd really like to
see composition become part of the language itself. One of the fantastic
thing about the evolution of programming languages is how programmers
discover many good and bad patterns, then we make new language features to
incorporate the good patterns and mitigate against the bad ones. Data and
pointer types, classes/objects, inheritance, abstract interfaces, to name
but a few are all derived from good disciplined practice, codified such
that they become easier, or required practices.

The protocol forwarding proposal is great, but it seems like the good
pattern/practice it is trying to aid (composition) would still be a
programmer discipline that sits atop that particular language feature. Does
anyone else think encouraging composition directly as a language feature
would be a good thing? A new platform-level on top of which we can develop
new good and bad patterns, to continue the evolution? It's apparent from
other active threads on this list that composition over inheritance is
still not widely followed. I still make this same mistake. I remember going
from C++ to Java (this was probably around 17 years ago now) I often wanted
multiple inheritance, but the language wouldn't let me and I soon realised
the error of my ways and the power of interfaces. This is the great power
of a well designed language feature - it forces programmers to improve
their thinking while making it easier to write better code at the same
time. These days we can easily compose interfaces (in Swift for example we
can adopt multiple protocols, or use protocol composition) but we still
can't easily compose implementations. We tend to use delegates for
composition, and auto-forwarding seems to be a good approach for making
this pattern easier, but composing a type's implementation from other
existing component implementations is subtly different to delegation.

So instead of wanting to inherit from a struct, or forward a protocol to
avoid boilerplate, I want composition to be a natural and easy way to think
of a particular type, and I want the language and compiler to nudge my
thinking towards this way when I start to do something stupid. Is anyone
with me on this or am I just out there talking crazy?

In the specifics of this case, there seem to be some issues with `Self`
parameters and return types in the protocol forwarding proposal. Also, the
idea of a lot of synthesized boilerplate to forward calls seems a bit
messy. Perhaps it would be good if composition were able to pull in
implementations like templates. So `Self` types become the type of the
composed type, and the compiler decides when it needs to generate a
type-specific version or when to use a generic version of an
implementation. And the intention would be very clear because a component
of a composition would be explicitly named something obvious like
`component`.

It'd be great to hear Matthew Johnson's thoughts on this, and anyone else
who has been involved with the forwarding discussions.