[swift-evolution] a few initializer proposals

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Thu Jun 22 17:20:57 CDT 2017

These issues which you have raised have been discussed thoroughly on this
list some time ago. It was distilled into a very well written proposal,
SE-0018, that was evaluated and deferred. I would recommend that you and
all people who are interested in this topic review the initial pitch and
the subsequent discussions that took place.

At the conclusion of that process, any improvements for memberwise
initialization were deemed out of scope for Swift 3. Subsequently, all
sugar was out of scope for Swift 4 phase 1 and deemed to be extremely low
priority for Swift 4 phase 2. Whether the topic will be in scope again is
an open question.

The summary of the core team's decision is unusually long and
extraordinarily enlightening. The issues about this feature being out of
scope are discussed as "meta-points," and an extensive amount of text
explains the thought process behind that conclusion. Beyond that, however,
the decision also explores a truly remarkable set of possible solutions to
the underlying issue, and it raises very interesting (non-meta) points that
would have to be carefully considered before any revised proposal.