[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Introducing role keywords to reduce hard-to-find bugs

Erica Sadun erica at ericasadun.com
Fri Jun 16 09:33:34 CDT 2017

As we say in our introduction, we're pitching the most conservative approach.

The proposal was designed for minimal language impact. It chooses a conservative approach that can be phased in first over time and language release over more succinct alternatives that would impact existing code bases.

We discuss the one keyword version (which most of us are a fan of) in the alternatives. The core team has to decide how much they're willing to allow existing code to warn and/or break, which is the consequence of the one keyword solution.

-- E