[swift-evolution] Revisiting SE-0110

Chris Lattner sabre at nondot.org
Thu Jun 15 12:34:01 CDT 2017

> On Jun 15, 2017, at 10:28 AM, Chris Lattner <sabre at nondot.org> wrote:
>

>> Is the feature harmful?
>
> Yes, absolutely.  The shadowing isn't the thing that bothers me, it is that swift has a meaning for that very syntax in other contexts, and that this is completely different meaning.  People absolutely would get confused by this if they encountered it in real code that they themselves didn't write, and I'm not aware of any good (non theoretical) use for it.

A different way to look at it: beyond enabling a dubious capability (inline tuple shuffle) the pattern matching syntax is arguably just backwards.  Thus it is inconsistent with the rest of Swift (e.g. tuple type syntax).  This makes it super confusing.

I recognize that by itself this isn't enough of a reason to make a change.  Is this capability even documented in TSPL?

-Chris