[swift-evolution] Revisiting SE-0110

Chris Lattner clattner at nondot.org
Wed Jun 14 23:01:49 CDT 2017

> On Jun 12, 2017, at 10:07 PM, Paul Cantrell <cantrell at pobox.com> wrote:
>
> What’s the status of this Chris’s double parens idea below? It garnered some positive responses, but the discussion seems to have fizzled out. Is there something needed to help nudge this along?
>
> What’s the likelihood of getting this fixed before Swift 4 goes live, and the great wave of readability regressions hits?

We discussed this in the core team meeting today.  Consensus seems to be that a change needs to be made to regain syntactic convenience here.  Discussion was leaning towards allowing (at least) the parenthesized form, but more discussion is needed.

One (tangential) thing that came up is that tuple element names in tuple *patterns* should probably be deprecated and removed at some point.  Without looking, what variables does this declare?:

	let (a : Int, b : Float) = foo()

?

-Chris