[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Change Void meaning

Jérémie Girault jeremie.girault at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 12:44:58 CDT 2017

Void was the empty tuple because arguments were tuples. So no arguments
meant empty tuple.

If we consider the empty tuple to be an argument, then the type for the
type of empty tuple should be `Unit`

Void, however, seem naturally fitted for the absence of argument.

Should `func foo(Void)` be different from `func foo()`? I don’t think so.
But different from `func foo(Unit)` ? Yes !

My point here is that we probably won’t have splatting for swift4.

But if we consider the type system as a guide, we can consider 3 simple set
of rules and restore almost 100% source compatibility while keeping the
improvement of SE-0110
- Rules for swift3 tuples-arguments of cardinality zero (Void) in swift 4
(this proposition)
- Rules for swift3 tuples-arguments of cardinality one in swift 4
(proposition to be done)
- Rules for swift3 tuples-arguments of cardinality > 1 in swift 4
(proposition to be done)

—
very short reply expected - vsre.info
Jérémie Girault