[swift-evolution] Introduction of OrderedSet

Douglas Gregor dgregor at apple.com
Mon Jun 12 11:35:55 CDT 2017

> On Jun 10, 2017, at 8:42 AM, Tony Parker <anthony.parker at apple.com> wrote:
>
> This is still something I want to do, but I suspect it will require some coordination work with the NSOrderedSet ref type in Foundation.
>
> Also, as Doug says, there is a larger question too of how we make source breaking changes like this in Swift 5 (I think we’re probably out of runway for Swift 4 at this point).

Definitely too late for Swift 4.

Whether we should do it in Swift 5 depends on the source-compatibility story. The Swift 4 compiler has the ability to present imported types to Swift 3.2 differently from Swift 4, which we used to stage in (e.g.) subclass existentials and SDK changes. We could conceivably do the same for NSOrderedSet <-> OrderedSet bridging, suppressing bridging of NSOrderedSet in imported APIs for Swift <= 4.

> We would want to bridge this in from the SDK, but if it follows the pattern of our value types, we need to make API changes from the ref type to make it fit in correctly with Swift-only concepts like the Collection protocols.

Sure, we’d need to design it to fit well with the standard library and provide the APIs people expect from NSOrderedSet.

	- Doug