[swift-evolution] Pitch: Documentation access from the Swift REPL

Roope Kangas roope.kangas at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 00:40:06 CDT 2017

I am new to Swift and just started learning but...

When exploring standard library and the language it self from the REPL.
Users currently need to switch between a browser to read documentation and
the
REPL it self.

What I would like to see in the REPL is behaviour like this:

 1> :help print

  print(_:separator:terminator:)
  Writes the textual representations of the given items into the standard
output.

This means some kind of nice textual version of what I find here:
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/swift/1541053-print

I see that in the source code this information is available
(
https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/master/stdlib/public/core/Print.swift#L13
).

And that in the playgrounds I can get this quick help. Would be really nice
to access this from the REPL too.

KR,

--
Roope Kangas