[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Uniform Initialization Syntax

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 05:32:39 CDT 2017

If `self` is not of type `inout Self?`, then what is the type of `self`
such that you may assign it a value of `nil`?

It certainly cannot be of type `inout Self`, unless `Self` conforms to
`ExpressibleByNilLiteral`, in which case you are able to assign `self =
nil` an unlimited number of times–but that has a totally different meaning.

Could `self` be of type `inout Self!`? Now that implicitly unwrapped
optionals are no longer their own type, I’m not sure that’s possible. But
even if it were, that seems unintuitive and potentially error-prone.

So I think Greg is quite right that, to enable this feature, `self` would
have to be of type `inout Self?`–which is intriguing but potentially more
boilerplatey than the status quo.