[swift-evolution] Proposal: Always flatten the single element tuple

Víctor Pimentel Rodríguez vpimentel at tuenti.com
Thu Jun 8 04:17:12 CDT 2017

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 5:15 AM, Susan Cheng via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> Just a thought
>
> if parentheses is important, why the tuples are not?

This is stated on the proposal (and not in previous proposals):

https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0110-distingish-single-tuple-arg.md

   -

   We understand that this may be a departure from the current convention
   that a set of parentheses enclosing a single object are considered
   semantically meaningless, but it is the most natural way to differentiate
   between the two situations described above and would be a
   clearly-delineated one-time-only exception.

<https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0110-distingish-single-tuple-arg.md#impact-on-existing-code>This
proposal marks a one-time-only exception, to differentiate the parenthesis
needed to enclose a list of closure parameters and the parenthesis needed
for tuples. That's adding an exception for implementing a regression.

The more I think about it, the more I hate* this proposal.

* Well, not _hate_, let's say slightly dislike :P

--
Víctor Pimentel