[swift-evolution] Pitch: Support for map and flatMap with smart key paths

Stephen Celis stephen.celis at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 22:21:17 CDT 2017

-1

A -1 from me may be surprising. I'm excited about key path composition and generic solutions, e.g. this experiment with lenses: https://twitter.com/stephencelis/status/863916921577758721

But I'd prefer a reusable solution for converting key paths into functions.

Heaven help me for this Rubyism, but a prefix "&" operator (or, maybe better yet, some implicit mechanism) could convert a key-path to a function that passes a root value to a key path...

   people.map(&\.firstName)

This way any function that takes a transformation from "whole" to "part" could take a key path. Requiring an overload per instance is less flexible.

Stephen