[swift-evolution] Proposal: Always flatten the single element tuple

Gwendal Roué gwendal.roue at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 13:50:48 CDT 2017

> Le 7 juin 2017 à 20:33, Gwendal Roué <gwendal.roue at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> For example, take those three functions:
>
> 	func f(_ closure:(Int, Int) -> ())
> 	func g(_ closure:((Int, Int)) -> ())
> 	func h(_ closure:((a: Int, b: Int)) -> ())
>
> If one can always write (as in Swift 3):
>
> 	f { (a, b) in ... }
> 	g { (a, b) in ... }
> 	c { (a, b) in ... }
>
> Then one can easily deal with a badly fit closure signature.
>
> This is most examplified by dictionaries. They always expose (key: Key, value: Value) tuples (their Element type). Problem is that 'key' and 'value' are identifiers that only matter for dictionaries, not for dictionary users. It's very important for dictionary users to forget about tuples, and the `key` and `value` words:
>
> 	// No pollution
> 	dictionary.map { (name, score) in ... }

It looks like some people in this mailing list are horrified by this "request" (not a feature request, but a request that Swift 3 behavior is restored, actually).

What could be the reasons for such a bad reaction?

1: measurable runtime overhead (slower programs in some cases, without any obvious way for the developper to notice where is the extra cost)
2: measurable compiler overhead (slower compilation)
3: implementation complexity (slower swift progress, technical debt, etc.)
4: other?

I understand 1. We are all fascinated by C++ and Rust "zero-overhead". If this is the main concern of the community, then we may focus the discussion of that very precise topic.

I can live with 2 (just a personal subjective preference)

About 3: I can not tell because I lack the necessary skills.

4: enlighten us!

Gwendal