[swift-evolution] Yet another fixed-size array spitball session

Robert Bennett rltbennett at icloud.com
Fri Jun 2 01:38:23 CDT 2017

My favorite proposal so far is one that was posted a while ago, [Int * 4]. I think that this syntax looks pretty Swifty. There isn't an oddball subscript operator like with Int[4], and there isn't a need to allow generics to support values as parameters. It's clear that [Int * 4] will be array-like and contain four Ints. For multidimensional arrays we could use [Int * (2,3)]. For an array of tuples, [(x: Int, y: Int) * 4]. I'm not sure why nested static arrays would be needed when multidimentionality is provided out of the box, but presumably the syntax would support them; you would just need to subscript the arrays one at a time instead of with a single subscript operator, e.g., a[i][j] instead of a[i, j].

I'm imagining this syntax working like [T] does now as a shorthand for Array<T>, although I'm not sure what [Int * 4] should be short for (StaticArray<Int, 4>? Vector4<Int>? ...). Constructors for static arrays would be called using [Int * 4](args). I'm thinking the constructors would be [T * 4](filledWith: T), [T * 4](filledBy: (Int)->T), and an initializer taking a Sequence that fails in some manner on a dimension mismatch.