[swift-evolution] Revisiting SE-0110

Vladimir.S svabox at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 14:54:21 CDT 2017

On 01.06.2017 21:52, John McCall wrote:

>>> The consequences for point-free style were expected and cannot really be
>>> eliminated without substantially weakening SE-0110.  Closure convenience seems
>>> to me to be a much more serious regression.
>>
>> John, do you also want to say "and without weakening SE-0066"? Because, if I
>> understand correctly, in this case:
>
> No.  SE-0066 was ultimately just a syntax proposal.  SE-0110 clarified the

Hmm. Could you please comment this(below) part of SE-0066? :

----------
Proposed solution

Parentheses will be required in *function types*. Examples:

Int -> Int           // error
(Int) -> Int         // function from Int to Int
((Int)) -> Int       // also function from Int to Int

Int, Int -> Int      // error
(Int, Int) -> Int    // function from Int and Int to Int
((Int, Int)) -> Int  // function from tuple (Int, Int) to Int
----------

> intended type-system behavior of function types for both calls and conversions.
> Removing tuple destructuring from parameter clauses was an incidental consequence
> of that, which in my opinion was pursued out of enthusiasm and without adequately
> understanding the impact on closures.

Well, I still believe SE-0110 was inspired by SE-0066 in a way how function types
were described in the latter.

Do you want to say, that if SE-0110 was not accepted(but SE-0066 is accepted),
function that takes one tuple parameter for example func foo(_ x: (Int, Int)){} will
still be of *type* (Int,Int)->Void and not ((Int,Int))->Void ?

And I'd still ask, if you have some time, please answer the question regarding the
closure type and allowed code(in the same email you replied just below) in case we
revisit SE-0110 *or* SE-0110 was not ever be proposed&accepted.
(I'm afraid I'm missing something very important about SE-0066 and function type
differences we should have in Swift 4). Thank you.

Vladimir.