[swift-evolution] Yet another fixed-size array spitball session

Robert Bennett rltbennett at icloud.com
Wed May 31 10:28:40 CDT 2017

Without static arrays, swift cannot be used in high performance applications. The cost of repeated heap accesses is simply too high. And tuples are not ergonomic enough to use in the same manner as arrays. So I think we do need to add static arrays to Swift, if not necessarily in Swift 4.

My suggestion: have two constructors, StaticArray<T>(size: LiteralInteger, initialValue: T) and StaticArray<T>(dimensions: [LiteralInteger], initialValue: T), one for the single-dimension case and one for the multidimensional case. By LiteralInteger I mean that the compiler rejects cases where the arguments are not integer literals, the same way it rejects non-literal values for enum cases. We should let the compiler turn calls of those constructors into stack-allocated static arrays behind the scenes. This could be as simple as synthesizing the code for a static array (see the gist I linked to). I don't really think we need any specialized syntax for this aside from the compiler limiting what can be passed to the constructor.