[swift-evolution] Revisiting SE-0110

Nevin Brackett-Rozinsky nevin.brackettrozinsky at gmail.com
Mon May 29 10:26:57 CDT 2017

On Sun, May 28, 2017 at 7:04 PM, John McCall via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> We need to add back tuple destructuring in closure parameter lists because
> this is a serious usability regression.  If we're reluctant to just "do the
> right thing" to handle the ambiguity of (a,b), we should at least allow it
> via unambiguous syntax like ((a,b)).  I do think that we should just "do
> the right thing", however, with my biggest concern being whether there's
> any reasonable way to achieve that in 4.0.
>
> John.

I agree with John, the best thing for actually using Swift is to allow
tuple destructuring here, and the outermost parentheses (around the entire
parameter list of a closure) should continue to be optional. Requiring
double-parens would seem unnecessarily and arbitrarily…whatever the
opposite of “convenient” is.

Nevin