[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0163 [2]: String Revision: Collection Conformance, C Interop, Transcoding

Brent Royal-Gordon brent at architechies.com
Thu May 11 21:07:58 CDT 2017

> On May 11, 2017, at 2:39 PM, John McCall <rjmccall at apple.com> wrote:
> What is your evaluation of the proposal?
These changes all look like improvements to me. (But I would say that, since I recommended a couple of them in the original review.)

I notice that `Unicode.ParseResult`'s cases have lost their `resumptionPoint`s. Is the intent that the fully-baked versions of the higher-level APIs will pass these out in some other way? If so, is there a possibility that `Unicode.ParseResult` will not be adequate for those types, and it should be given a more specific name like `Unicode.ScalarParseResult`?

(Off-topic, but: What's holding us back from allowing protocols to be nested inside other types? I don't think this is the first design to fake that with typealiases.)
> Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?
Yup.
> Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?
Yes. The change to `StringProtocol` feels particularly nice.
> If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?
Compared to the original version, there's nothing really new that impacts this question.
> How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

Quick reading of the diffs.

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies