[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Adding safety to arrays

Andrew Hart andrew at projectdent.com
Sun May 7 08:16:55 CDT 2017

To respond to one of the main points I’ve seen, which is that this isn’t
necessary for arrays because the index you’re using is often tied to data
related to the array, such as in the example I gave originally, where in
`cellForRowAtIndexPath`, the index path is probably informed by the length
of the array.

That’s true for data-backed code, but on iOS arrays are used in other
scenarios. I wanted to provide 3 additional examples where optional arrays
would be helpful that I’ve run across recently:

1. When determining the video dimensions, frame rate or other property of
an AVAsset which you know is a video, you need to first use
assetTracks(withMediaType: String), which returns an array. While I’m
fairly sure that these video assets will all contain a video track, it’s
not a certainty, so to be safe I need to check that one exists. Currently
my code looks like this:

let videoTracks = asset.tracks(withMediaType: AVMediaTypeVideo)
if videoTracks.count > 0 {
    let videoTrack = videoTracks[0]
    print("dimensions: \(videoTrack.naturalSize)")
}

With optional arrays, this could be shortened to this:

if let videoTrack = asset.tracks(withMediaType: AVMediaTypeVideo)[0] {
    print("dimensions: \(videoTrack.naturalSize)")
}

2. UIVisualEffect can display a blurred view on top of underlying views. If
you wish to add a tint color, it's simply added on top of the blur view's
own background color (by default, 0.97 white with 0.8 alpha) which is
provided by a subview. Your tint color being placed on top of the blur
view’s background color therefore degrades how that color affects the
content underneath, and also the overall opacity of the content underneath.
You might also not want the overlay to be as strong as 0.8. To get around
this, I might customise the UIVisualEffectView to display my own base color
displayed over the blur. I know that the background color is set in the 2nd
subview of visualEffectView, so I’ll modify it like so:

if visualEffectView.subviews.count >= 2 {
    let tintedView = self.visualEffectView.subviews[1]
    tintedView.backgroundColor = UIColor.red.withAlphaComponent(0.5)
}

The checking for the subviews count is important here - while it’s possible
that iOS may change the implementation of UIVisualEffectViews in future,
and break my UI, I would much prefer that over the app crashing.

With optional arrays, this UI code could be shortened to this:

visualEffectView.subviews[1]?.backgroundColor =
UIColor.red.withAlphaComponent(0.5)

Obviously this kind of manipulation is hacky and isn’t encouraged, but it’s
an example of some of the more finicky UI work that in reality is often
required on iOS in order to achieve certain goals.

3. I also think optional arrays can be used for clarity of purpose, in the
same way that dictionary keys are. In a different scenario, such as when
attempting to extract data from a string, this is how code might currently
look:

let components = coordinatesString.components(separatedBy: ",")

if components.count < 2 {
    return nil
}

let latitudeString = components[0]
let longitudeString = components[1]

Notice that in advance you’re saying “ok, so I know there’ll be 2
components I require later on, so I’ll check to make sure I have at least 2
components, and then after that I’ll explain what those are for”. Instead,
it could look like this:

let components = coordinatesString.components(separatedBy: ",”)
let latitudeString = components[0]
let longitudeString = components[1]

if latitudeString == nil || longitudeString == nil {
    return nil
}

The intent is much clearer here. You want to extract latitude and
longitude, but if either of those don’t exist then return nil.