[swift-evolution] [Proposal][Discussion] Deprecate Tuple Shuffles

Brent Royal-Gordon brent at architechies.com
Sat May 6 16:27:56 CDT 2017

> On May 5, 2017, at 11:06 PM, Xiaodi Wu <xiaodi.wu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The identifier after a colon is *never* a type in any pattern matching, and there's no need of which I'm aware to support type annotations in pattern matching. We put colons after labels, and the current syntax is perfectly consistent here. What is the defect you're trying to cure?

The defect underlying this proposal: `let (x: Int, y: Double)` looks like it's declaring `x` and `y` of types `Int` and `Double`, but it's actually declaring `Int` and `Double` and binding them to `x` and `y`. Your code's meaning is perfectly unambiguous to the compiler, of course, but it's misleading to the human.

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies