[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0174: Change `filter` to return an associated type

Anders Ha hello at andersio.co
Wed May 3 02:27:09 CDT 2017

Returning `Self<T>` requires higher kinded type. Note that parameterized protocols are not the same as higher kinded types, since for the former generic protocol parameters are already bound at conformance of the static `Self` like associated types, while the later is about having a generic static `Self`.

IOW you cannot do `Self<T>` statically without higher kinded type. The best you can get is generalized existential, e.g. `filter` returning a `Collection where .Element == T` or `Collection<T>` if protocols can be parameterized.

The compiler cannot eliminate virtual dispatching for existentials, because this is what existential is by definition — knowing how to manipulate it at static time, but not the type which varies at runtime. All non-class existentials are dispatched through their associated protocol witness tables.

Regards
Anders