[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Move All Discussions To Github Issues
Mohamed Ebrahim Afifi
mohamede1945 at gmail.com
Mon May 1 06:30:28 CDT 2017
This is actually not a proposal to improve Swift, it is actually a proposal
to improve the way we use it to improve Swift. :)
It is extremely hard to monitor discussions going over e-mails.
1. I always get lost between e-mails especially if there are so many
2. It is extremely hard to reach the original idea/first e-mail.
3. New people (like me) usually get lost between e-mails and only focus
on their own idea and don't care about other's ideas because for example, I
don't know how to reply to an idea if I'm not subscribed to the mailing
list. In other words, It’s not a system that encourages follow-up actions.
4. You can not browse subjects and all replies in one place.
5. You cannot follow a specific topic and ignore others.
That was the problem!
My suggestion is to move all discussions from this mailing list to GitHub
issues. For the following reasons.
1. Easier to browse all topics.
2. You can see open topics and closed topics. So, if a topic is done we
can close it.
3. You can subscribe to a topic and follow all replies and reply.
4. Markdown support. Currently, I see people create a markdown page on
Github and send a link to it on the mailing list. But having the markdown
inline in the topic is a great benefit. Also, replies can be in markdown as
5. It's closer to Proposals (Since we already using Github for tracking
proposals why don't we use it also to track pitching ideas). People like to
have everything gathered together in one place and don't need to remember
the Github repo and mailing list.
6. Github has https://developer.github.com/v3/issues/
I think using Github issues instead of the mailing lists will increase
the engagement of the Swift community with proposals.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the swift-evolution