[swift-evolution] [pitch] Comparison Reform

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 18:32:19 CDT 2017

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 6:23 PM, Michel Fortin <michel.fortin at michelf.ca>
wrote:

> [...]
>> finite value whenever you need it:
>>
>>         dict[a.finiteValue!] = "a"
>>
>> I understand that this goes a bit beyond solving the problem with
>> comparison which is caused by NaNs and not by infinity values. But it's
>> quite easy to explain what "finite" means and it follows how integers
>> works. It also has the interesting property of guarantying a finite value
>> for APIs that needs that, which I believe is more frequent than APIs that
>> require only a non-NaN value. Hence why I'm suggesting FiniteDouble and not
>> NonNaNDouble.
>>

> The issue, here, again is that you're proposing tinkering with Swift
> floating point types without addressing the motivations here, which is an
> issue with _Comparable_. The problem is that:
>
> (a) People use arrays of type Float and Double.
>
> (b) You can invent new ways to represent floating point values, but as
> long as you interact with data from anywhere else (not just interoperating
> with C or using existing algorithms that make use of floating point
> types, but even simply reading in any file that stores floating point data,
> since those will be serialized as IEEE floating point values), you _will_
> be using Float and Double.
>
> (c) People expect to sort and compare arrays of type Float and Double.
>
> You can introduce a type called DefinitelyNotNaNDouble and then rename
> Double to PotentiallyReallyBadNaNDouble, but people will still need to sort
> and compare arrays of PotentiallyReallyBadNaNDouble. And after all that
> work, you still have not answered the question, how do we write generic
> algorithms that (a) use generic comparison; and (b) behave in a sensible
> way when working with values of type PotentiallyReallyBadNaNDouble?
>

> You are right. I had the dictionary/set problem in mind, but that's not
> the one related to `Comparable`. With this design the problem with
> `Comparable` would have to be "solved" by making `Double` (the one that
> supports NaN) not conform to `Comparable`. Which means that the basic
> generic `sort` would not work with a `[Double]`; instead we'd have to write
> a more specialized `sort` for that...
>
> And to write that more specialized `sort` we add a `SometimeComparable`
> protocol with the ability to tell when values are unordered and have
> `Float` and `Double` conform to it. We could probably make `Comparable`
> conform to it automatically. And with that the `sort` for
> `SometimeComparable` can also handle the plain `Comparable` and thus
> becomes the most generic one. In the end we have two comparable protocols,
> one for when things are always comparable and one for when they are only
> sometime comparable, and generic algorithms would be free to accept one or
> the other depending on whether they can deal with the unordered case or not.
>
> (We could do the same thing with `Equatable` vs. `SometimeEquatable`.
> Generic algorithms would have to choose one or the other in their generic

Right, and this is the solution that Rust uses, but as pointed out in the
proposal here, it's been found that this is not a good solution. So, the
goal here is a single Equatable and Comparable protocol to which Float and
Double conform. Again, the goal is to be able to write generic `sort` with
`Double`; we want to make it work correctly, not remove it altogether.

Maybe I'm turning in full circle here. There's actually no need for