[swift-evolution] [pitch] Comparison Reform

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 21:17:57 CDT 2017

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 8:38 PM, Jonathan Hull <jhull at gbis.com> wrote:

> On Apr 25, 2017, at 5:25 PM, Xiaodi Wu <xiaodi.wu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 6:53 PM, Jonathan Hull <jhull at gbis.com> wrote:
>
>> I just wanted to ask for more detail on why this is a non-starter (it
>> seems like most of my ideas are dismissed as “non-starters”, but I am
>> rarely given a detailed reason why).
>>
>> Migration would be a renaming from ‘Double' to ‘Double?’, but it wouldn’t
>> be cosmetic.  It would free us to use a non-optional Double, where we can
>> guarantee the answer wouldn’t be NaN/nil.  We would, as you say, have
>> functions like ‘cos(Double?)->Double?’ which propagate the optional, but we
>> could also add a ‘cos(Double)->Double’ overload which guarantees an actual
>> result.  For something like Tan, we would only have the optional version
>> because the answer may actually be undefined, even when the input isn't.
>>

> Leave aside how one might implement such a system for a moment. The first
> major issue is that your idea does not address the issues we're talking
> about here:
>
> We are debating, for instance, how to compare arrays with elements of type
> `Double`. In your design, the question remains how we would compare arrays
> with elements of type `Double?`. If the answer is that you cannot compare
> arrays of type `[Double?]`, then we have a problem, because that's the type
> that people will use when they ingest data that might contain NaN. Sure,
> they can unwrap each element before using their data, but they can also
> test each element with `isNaN` today. We are trying to *improve* on the
> user experience of comparing arrays of floating point values *without*
> checking if they contain NaN, not trying to take that feature away.
>

> It solves the main problem we are dealing with in Comparable because
> defining Comparable on non-optional Double (without possibility of NaN) is
> fairly simple.

Yes, but `Double` would not the currency type for floating point work.
Since any input might contain NaN, people will be working pervasively with
`Double?`. Some consideration as to how the type would have to be designed
(I will leave that as an exercise to the reader) would reveal that `Double`
would either have trapping arithmetic operators or no arithmetic operators
at all. Who would use such a type? And for what purpose? No, you've just
pushed the problem from Double to Double?, but the issue is unsolved, and
now we have two types where before we had one.

> You could compare an array of ‘Double?' in the same way you could compare
> an array of ‘Int?’ now.  It would work the same way optionals work
> everywhere else.

Right, but again, `Double?` would be the currency type for floating point
work. And you have still not told me how arrays of `Double?` elements would
work. Would two arrays of NaN compare equal? Would two NaNs compare equal?
If NaN == NaN, then we've got a problem. The starting point for this
discussion is that, when working with floating point types, NaN != NaN.
It's required by IEEE standards, and it's relied upon by users.

You would just test for a lack of numerical result by checking the optional
> in the usual Swift way: guard let, if let, etc...
>

> Your design also doesn't address the problem of how NaN should compare
> with NaN. Only now, you've pushed the problem to `Optional`. By design,
> every `Optional<T>.none` compares equal to every other `Optional<U>.none`
> (yes, even of different types).
>
> Yes, the one major difference in behavior, which I mentioned in my earlier
> email, is that we are replacing NaN != NaN with nil == nil.  Everything
> else should behave the same.  The part that saves us here, is that Swift
> forces you to explicitly consider the optional case.
>
> Basically, I am taking the spirit/intent of the law over the letter of
> it.  As far as I can tell, (quiet) NaN was originally designed to provide
> the functionality which we use optional for in Swift.  The NaN != NaN thing
> came out of limitations of the computers in the 1980’s because you needed a
> way to tell if something was NaN or not (and isNaN() didn’t exist yet).

I'll refer you to Steve Canon's answer on StackOverflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1565164/what-is-the-rationale-for-all-comparisons-returning-false-for-ieee754-nan-values/1573715#1573715

Bottom line is, whatever it's designed for, it's here to stay. I'm *not* on
any IEEE committee; I'm not qualified to design an alternative universe of
floating point types; and the Swift evolution mailing list (or even Swift
itself) is not the place to design one. I and others rely on Swift floating
point types to be IEEE-complaint, so that's where we start the discussion
here about Comparable.

> The programmer (mental) model would be that Swift Double just doesn’t have
> NaN, and anywhere where you would normally return NaN, you return nil
> instead.

Look, you can already use Double? today. There is no barrier to trying it
out for yourself. However, `Double?.none` doesn't mean the same thing as
`Double.nan`. The former indicates that _there is no value_; the latter
indicates that there _is_ a value, it's just _not a number_. Suppose I
parse a list of numbers into an array. If I ask for [Double].last and get
nil, it's telling me that _there are no elements in the array_. If I get
.nan, it's telling me that there *is* a value, it just wasn't a number. In
the former case, I'd do nothing. In the latter case, I might prompt the
user: this isn't a number!

> However, the property of using NaN’s bits to represent nil let’s us
> inter-op seamlessly with C and ObjC (or any other language’s) code.  They
> just treat it as a double with NaN as normal (including NaN != NaN) and we
> interface with it as ‘Double?'

I'm going to sound like a broken record, now. Whether floating point types
in Swift conform to IEEE standards is _not_ up for discussion, afaict;
that's simply a given. Now, around that constraint, we're trying to design
a revised Comparable protocol. Code written today for floating point work
expects NaN != NaN. That is just something that is and will forever be. We
break source compatibility if we change that.

This did not always work correctly, if I recall, but it does now and it's
> an intentional part of the design. However, NaN must compare not equal to
> every NaN. These could not be more different properties. It seems quite
> absurd on its face that we might want NaN to compare equal to a value of
> type `Optional<UIViewController>`.
>

> Is there an algorithm that requires NaN != NaN that couldn’t be reasonably
> rewritten to handle nil/optionals instead?

I don't need an algorithm to show you the problem. See this expression: `0
* Double.infinity == .infinity * 0` correctly evaluates to false. Zero
times infinity is simply not equal to infinity times zero. You're
suggesting a design where the result would be true, and that simply won't
fly, because it's just not true.

I haven’t been able to think of one. They are extremely similar, because