[swift-evolution] Memoization for functions without parameters in enums

Tierry Hörmann tierryhoermann96 at gmx.ch
Tue Apr 25 16:28:45 CDT 2017

That’s true, I also discovered the case, where the enum has a reference type as an associated value, which is then modified by a function. Such a function would clearly not be pure either, so a pure function should not be able to capture from a different scope and should not be able to access reference types. I see the problem there.
But with the workarounds for memoization there is still a problem with enums: As enums cannot have stored properties, it is not possible to create a constant closure in the enum. Isn’t this somehow a inconsistency that I can’t write

enum Test {
    let foo = {0}
}

but I can write

enum Test {
    func foo() -> Int {
        return 0

For this I would have two possible solutions: Allow assigning to a function somehow like this:

func foo = {0}

Or allowing constants in enums as a constant would not be anything else than an associated type with a possible default value, which every case of the enum contains.

But I see this is out of scope for this discussion and I will look for other ways for memoization on swift-users.

Thanks
Tierry Hoermann