[swift-evolution] [Accepted] SE-0168: Multi-Line String Literals

Adrian Zubarev adrian.zubarev at devandartist.com
Sun Apr 23 09:21:11 CDT 2017

Two things:

Shall we rename the thread for to focus onto the new topic?

The toolchain is great, the multi-line string literal how I imagined it to be the whole time, except for two smaller issues.

The the fix-it is wrong for the following two examples:

"""
123<space>
"""

"""
abc
123<space>
"""
It will ask you to add \n\ for for the line behind the closing delimiter it only should be \. But a warning in such a case is the perfect direction for the whole debate we’re having in this thread.

The second issue is only out of my curiosity.

"""
Foo\<space><new_line_character>
"""
This results in an error right now. Is it possible to teach the compiler to swallow whitespace characters after the backslash until a new line character is found, simply said to ignore them, because in that case they are irrelevant and not harmful.

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail