[swift-evolution] [pitch] Comparison Reform

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 17:55:47 CDT 2017

On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 5:51 PM, Dave Abrahams <dabrahams at apple.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >> standard
> >> users

> made
> >>
> >> Nope.
> >>
> >> As you know, equality of arrays is implemented generically and based on
> >> the equatable conformance of their elements.  Therefore, two arrays of
> >> equatable elements are equal iff the conforming implementation of
> >> Equatable's == is true for all elements.

> >> I suppose that's one interpretation, but it's not the right one.
> >>
> >> If this were C++, it would be different, because of the way template
> >> instantiation works: in a generic context like the == of Array, the
> >> compiler would look up the syntactically-available == for the elements
> >> and use that.  But Swift is not like that; static lookup is done at the
> >> point where Array's == is compiled, and it only finds the == that's
> >> supplied by the Element's Equatable conformance.
> >>
> >> This may sound like an argument based on implementation details of the
> >> language, and to some extent it is.  But that is also the fundamental
> >> nature of the Swift language (and one for which we get many benefits),
> >> and it is hopeless to paper over it.  For example, I can claim that all
> >> doubles are equal to one another:
> >>
> >>   9> func == (lhs: Double, rhs: Double) -> Bool { return true }
> >>  10> 4.0 == 1.0
> >> $R2: Bool = true
> >>  11> [4.0] == [1.0]  // so the arrays should be equal too!
> >> $R3: Bool = false
> >>
> >> Another way to look at this is that Array is not a numeric vector, and
> >> won't be one no matter what you do ([1.0] + [2.0] => [1.0, 2.0]).  So it
> >> would be wrong for you to expect it to reflect the numeric properties of
> >> its elements.

> >> fewer
> >> intersection of
> documented
> >> hit

> >> rug
> might
> find
> >> it
> >>
> >> Correct.

> >> At what cost?
> >>
> >> More specifically: why is it the right behavior, for our audience, to
> >> trap when Equatable comparison happens to encounter NaN?  Will this not
> >> simply "crash" programs in the field that otherwise would have "just
> >> worked?"

> NaN,
> >>
> >> So... to be clear, this is still different behavior based on context.
> >> Is this not just as confusing a result?
> >>
> >>   let nan = 0.0 / 0.0
> >>   print(nan == nan)     // false
> >>   print([nan] == [nan]) // trap
> >>

> > No, in my alternative proposal:
> >
> > ```
> >    let nan = 0.0 / 0.0
> >    print(nan == nan)     // trap
> >    print([nan] == [nan]) // trap
> >    print(nan &== nan) // false
> >    print([nan] &== [nan]) // false
> > ```
>
> Oh, that's an interesting approach.  Now you are asking people to

Yes. Specifically, in floating point code. I guess that's the part about
shaping the rug not to cover the bump. IEEE does not require `==` to be the
spelling of the quiet equality comparison operator, and it does
specifically describe a comparison operator that behaves identically to
what I propose as the trapping `==` (which, I believe, is actually spelled
in the IEEE standard as `==`).

I guess I'd want to hear what Steve