[swift-evolution] [Accepted] SE-0168: Multi-Line String Literals

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 13:40:59 CDT 2017

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 8:48 AM, Robert Bennett via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> Xiaodi, I think one thing you're neglecting is that users may never print
> out a multiline literal string at all. A string might never be printed or
> read by a human outside of the code it resides in. In this case it seems
> perfectly reasonable to ask that it be possible to format the string nicely
> in the code and disregard how it would actually be printed.

Can you give an example of such a use case, where a string is never seen by
a human but one cannot insert literal newlines and would need elided ones
instead?

Even if we intended to print every string we used, I don't agree that a
> string's representation in code should be coupled to its appearance when
> printed. That seems like a needless restriction to impose on the language.

I disagree that it is needless. To me, it is a sine qua non and raison
d'ĂȘtre of literals. It is, after all, what the word "literal" means.

> The whole point of multiline strings is to be able to visually lay out
> strings as desired, independent of the editor.

I don't believe that's correct. The whole point of multiline strings it to
be able to use literal newlines, no more and no less. I disagree strongly
with the idea that a literal should support "laying out strings as
desired"--only representing strings literally.

Allowing manual line breaks without introducing a newline is one more step
> toward completing this goal.
>
> To respond to your specific question as to why soft wrap is insufficient:
> it either looks bad because the wrapped text is unindented, or it
> introduces ambiguity by indenting the wrapped text (is that a wrapped line
> or two separate lines?). As Adrian Zubarev pointed out, we wouldn't need
> multiline string literals at all if we were content with manually inserting
> "\n" in multline strings and living with the soft wrapping.

Again, I understand the whole point of multiline string literals to be
allowing the use of literal newlines. The part about not liking
soft-wrapping, afaict, was never discussed during review as a motivation. I
personally do not use soft wrapping, but I have no problem with other
people using it. Besides that, there's the option of not wrapping (my
personal choice) and the option of hard wrapping using concatenation.

Evidently we are not content with that, so neither should we be content
> with having no way to break up long lines containing no newline character.
>
> Finally, I see no reason why we should be fighting against this. It only
> makes multiline strings more capable. If you don't want to use manual
> wrapping of lines, you don't have to.

This, IMO, is the wrong kind of reasoning. All additive features can be
summed up as "you don't have to use it if you don't like it." But that is
not the bar for including a feature. Each addition makes the language more
difficult to master and has the potential to make the resulting code more
difficult to read and understand. On balance, would this particular feature
hold its own weight? I don't think that avoiding the "it looks bad" issue
with soft-wrapping warrants such an addition.