[swift-evolution] [Accepted] SE-0169: Improve Interaction Between `private` Declarations and Extensions

John McCall rjmccall at apple.com
Thu Apr 20 21:53:11 CDT 2017

> On Apr 20, 2017, at 7:31 PM, Douglas Gregor <dgregor at apple.com> wrote:
>> On Apr 20, 2017, at 3:39 PM, John McCall <rjmccall at apple.com <mailto:rjmccall at apple.com>> wrote:

>>> That seems like the correct behavior; private is about members with SE-0169. What do you think?
>>>
>>> ...that seems suboptimal, given that the goal has been to make it possible for people to use `private` more and not less frequently. IMO, there's no need for `private typealias` at the global level to be prohibited.
>>
>> Yeah, I see no reason for this to change the behavior of private extensions to be more restrictive than before.
>
> So you’re okay with:
>
> 	private extension X {
> 	  func foo() { }
> 	}
>
> being equivalent to
>
> 	extension X {
> 	  fileprivate func foo() { }
> 	}
>
> rather than
>
> 	extension X {
> 	  private func foo() { }
> 	}
>
> ?
>
> That seems unintuitive at best.

Perhaps, but it's existing unintuitive behavior.  Are you suggesting that SE-0169 rationalizes changing it because (1) it's likely that a private extension is just meant for the use of other extensions of that type in the current file and (2) SE-0169 already allows such uses and so justifies the stricter rule?  That is an interesting theory, but I'm not sure I believe (1).  More importantly, though, SE-0169 didn't actually propose changing this behavior, and it's a very substantial shift in behavior, and we haven't actually discussed or gathered any community feedback about it, so I'm really struggling to see why it wouldn't need to be a separate evolution proposal.  And that would be difficult because, as a wise man once said to me, the core team considers the access-control matter closed for Swift 4 and will not be reviewing any further proposals in this area. :)

John.