[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Improve the API Design Guidelines about protocol naming

Gwendal Roué gwendal.roue at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 02:21:57 CDT 2017

Well, IteratorProtocol, LazySequenceProtocol weren't imported from ObjC.

They set a precedent for the -Protocol suffix.

Now, even if you don't like RangeProtocol, this doesn't make RangeExpression better.

"Expression" and `1...` don't belong to the same level of the language: one is a concept of that belongs to the compiler, when the other is a plain value used in a program:

When a program does `1 + 2`, it both sums two integers, and builds a expression from two other expressions and an operator. Both are true. Yet 1 is of type `Integer`, not `IntegerExpression`.

Currently all types of the standard library belong the program realm, not to the compiler realm. I wish we wouldn't break this practice, and avoid `RangeExpression`.

That's why I suggest `RangeProtocol`. Other options could be `Ranging`, `Bounds`...

Gwendal Roué