[swift-evolution] [Accepted] SE-0168: Multi-Line String Literals

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 17:27:42 CDT 2017

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 5:24 PM, Joe Groff <jgroff at apple.com> wrote:

> > On Apr 19, 2017, at 3:16 PM, Xiaodi Wu via swift-evolution <
> swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
> >
> > We had a very full debate about which way was superior during review; it
> was proposed to behave one way and the core team decided on the other. We
> have to let settled decisions be settled: that's the only way Swift
> Evolution will continue to work.
>
> I'm asking the core team for clarification on the point of the closing
> newline.

Cool, thanks. Please do remind them, though, that not stripping the closing
newline (which is what was originally proposed) *and* not having the option
of using `\` to elide newlines (which is contrary to what was originally
proposed) would mean that all multi-line strings would mandatorily end in a
newline.