[swift-evolution] [Accepted] SE-0168: Multi-Line String Literals

Xiaodi Wu xiaodi.wu at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 17:04:37 CDT 2017

Not dealing with trailing whitespaces is indeed the right decision, I
think. The idea has always been that one key advantage for this syntax is
that one can copy and paste the greatest possible amount of multi-line text
without having to edit each line.

Many source documents can have such trailing spaces at the end of lines.
For example, I'm sure that some of the HTML documents I've written, unless
linted, have such spaces. They are both invisible and harmless in the
original source document.

They would also do no harm in a multi-line literal. There is no need to
warn or error in that scenario, and the proposed workaround requires a
rather ugly escape pattern to cure this non-harm.