[swift-evolution] [pitch] Comparison Reform

David Sweeris davesweeris at mac.com
Sun Apr 16 12:30:26 CDT 2017

> On Apr 16, 2017, at 09:56, Nevin Brackett-Rozinsky via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Another option is to make a new type, not sure what to call it but I’ll use “Num” for now, that is essentially the same as Double except it does not represent NaN. After all, why should a numeric type ever be “not a number”,

Division by 0, incrementing past the largest representable value, probably a couple others that I'm not thinking of.

> and what sort of name is “Double” anyway except as a hold-over from legacy standards?

FWIW, I suggested something like that ("Float"->"Float32", "Double"->"Float64", and typealias the largest CPU-native type to just "Float") a while back and the consensus was that we wanted to preserve the current notation.

- Dave Sweeris