[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0168: Multi-Line String Literals

Adrian Zubarev adrian.zubarev at devandartist.com
Sat Apr 15 16:22:13 CDT 2017

Hi guys, I am, and also my English is, at my most limit fighting in this conversation. ;-)

I would not support, v1 v2 and v3 at all and would wish these options to be completely banned for a nice and simple model, even if all of the options can be implemented and might look OKAY for some specific examples. IMHO these mixed options overcomplicating the model.

I’d love to see the authors revision the proposal tackling the simple model I initially pushed forward, where I revised my personal opinion about the last content line, but most of you felt comfortable with.

Single-line expression.
Multi-line expression with no text directly after/before the delimiters (not even a backslash like """\).
Each line adds a new line (multi-line).
Disabling with the backslash.
Emitting a warning when trailing whitespaces are present but no \ is found at the end of the same line. + Fix-it with \n\
Not sure about the indent algorithm (I prefer the calculation of the prefix).
I also would be pleased when the authors could put the model I would prefer in the alternative section, so that the majority and the core team could have the chance to decide for the better one during the next review run.

Thanks to everyone for tackling the topic forward. ;)

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail