[swift-evolution] [pitch] Comparison Reform

Jonathan Hull jhull at gbis.com
Thu Apr 13 19:51:11 CDT 2017

I think “vastly” is vastly overstating it, especially since they are not customization points… merely aliases.  There is nothing else those operators could do without causing confusion.  Swift favors clarity, and these operators are much more clear (which I count as a benefit).  Also ‘<=‘ looks like an arrow, which I find very distracting in code, as my eye wants to follow it.

I do use this myself in application code, but I can’t add it to my framework code without potentially clashing with others (or myself) who have added the same behavior for themselves.  Even though the implementations are exactly the same, it becomes ambiguous which of the (identical) definitions should be used.  Having it in the library would mean that everyone would just use that version (and there is only one reasonable implementation, so it wont limit anyone).

I really don’t think there is danger of harm here as you seem to be implying. Anyone who sees ‘≤’ will know what it means, even if they aren’t familiar with Swift.  If the implementations point to ‘<=‘, etc… then nothing will get out of sync.  There really isn’t any extra maintenance needed.

Thanks,
Jon