[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0168: Multi-Line String Literals

Adrian Zubarev adrian.zubarev at devandartist.com
Thu Apr 13 12:52:25 CDT 2017

I don’t think it’s a good idea to add optionally character before the closing delimiter, because it could confuse the reader of the code on how exactly the actual string lines above will be stripped.

My personal vision remains as the following example:

// 1)
"""
Line_1
Line_2
"""

// result for 1)
"Line_1\nLine_2"

// 2)
"""

Line_1
Line_2
"""

// result for 2)
"\nLine_1\nLine_2"

// 3)
"""
Line_1
Line_2

"""

// result for 3)
"Line_1\nLine_2\n"

// 4)
"""

Line_1
Line_2

"""

// result for 4)
"\nLine_1\nLine_2\n"
This is the natural approach, alternatively you’re free to use directly \n instead a blank line.

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail