[swift-evolution] [Pitch] Adding safety to arrays

Jeff Kelley slaunchaman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 12:07:47 CDT 2017

Yes, the idea was to key off of an optional index. something like this:

> extension Array {
>     public subscript(_ index: Int?) -> Element? {
>         guard let i = index, i < endIndex else { return nil }
>
>         return self[i]
>     }
> }
>
> let array = ["foo", "bar", "baz"]
>
> array[1] // "bar"
>
> let index: Int? = 5
> let notInArray = array[index]

This doesn’t work today with the error “ambiguous use of 'subscript’” on “self[i]” but surely that could be fixed.

Jeff Kelley

SlaunchaMan at gmail.com | @SlaunchaMan <https://twitter.com/SlaunchaMan> | jeffkelley.org <http://jeffkelley.org/>