[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0168: Multi-Line String Literals

John Holdsworth mac at johnholdsworth.com
Wed Apr 12 16:14:35 CDT 2017

I think we’re agreeing. Looks like I need to clarify my last post a little. When I included the following strings:

        let longstring = """\
            Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod \
            tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, \
            quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.\
            """

        print( """\
            Usage: myapp <options>

            Run myapp to do mything

            -myoption - an option
            """ )

These were expressed in term of the proposal after last nights changes.

By advocating option 2) I’m accepting we should revert back to the following:

        let longstring = """
            Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod \
            tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, \
            quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.\
            """

        print( """
            Usage: myapp <options>

            Run myapp to do mything

            -myoption - an option
            ""” )

> 1) Proposal as it stands  - no magic removal of leading/training blank lines.
> 2) Removal of a leading blank line when indent stripping is being applied.
> 3) Removal of leading blank line and trailing newline when indent stripping is being applied.

Also, note: the toolchain does not seem to work at all with playgrounds. I’ve been using small test apps.