[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0168: Multi-Line String Literals

Adrian Zubarev adrian.zubarev at devandartist.com
Wed Apr 12 16:10:38 CDT 2017

If I understand #2 correctly than it work for this literal.

let x = """↵
abc↵
"""
Iff we only remove the top new line when the below part is indented than the literal from above would produce "\nabc\n", which I wouldn’t expect.

Compared to:

let x = """↵
··abc↵
··"""
In the multi-lined version of that literal, the starting delimiter does only one job: “look I’m gonna provide a multi-line string in between me and the closing delimiter”. That’s it’s only job. (Not yet officially proposed, nor it’s in the current toolchain.)

The closing delimiter however covers the leading precision and the indent of the current literal. However this is partly visible for a literal that fully fits onto your screen. (That’s already included in current toolchain.)

The trailing precision is covered by the backslash (because it’s visible and intuitive for the developer), otherwise all whitespace characters are stripped at the end and a new line character is implicitly added to that line. (Not handled in the current toolchain.)

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail