[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0168: Multi-Line String Literals

Ricardo Parada rparada at mac.com
Wed Apr 12 12:40:57 CDT 2017

Hi all,

I agree as well, I think we should make optimize for the most common case of multi-line strings.  A rule that says strip the first leading newline as well as the trailing newline.  So it's almost back to where Brent started with the addition of removing the trailing newline.

Borrowing Adrian's example, I could just have this:

let myReallyLongXMLConstantName = """
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <catalog>
        <book id="bk101" empty="">
            <author>John Doe</author>
            <title>XML Developer's Guide</title>
            <genre>Computer</genre>
            <price>44.95</price>
        </book>
    </catalog>
    """
If somebody wants the last line to include a newline at the end, they can just add a \n at the end or an empty line.

So if I do this:
print(myReallyLongXMLConstantName)
print("Text right below")
It would output this:

 <?xml version="1.0"?>
 <catalog>
     <book id="bk101" empty="">
         <author>John Doe</author>
         <title>XML Developer's Guide</title>
         <genre>Computer</genre>
         <price>44.95</price>
     </book>
 </catalog>
Test right below

Without removing the trailing newline then it would print like this: