[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0168: Multi-Line String Literals

Vladimir.S svabox at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 10:40:23 CDT 2017

On 12.04.2017 17:52, Thorsten Seitz via swift-evolution wrote:
>> Am 12.04.2017 um 15:40 schrieb Brent Royal-Gordon via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org>:
>>
>> Hey folks,
>>

>> We've revised the proposal again. The main difference: You no longer need an initial newline to enable indentation stripping, and stripping no longer removes that newline even if it is present. (Adrian Zubarev and I believe some others argued for this.) We
>
> Hmm, not sure if I like these changes. I expect that almost all strings won't begin with a newline and a majority won’t end with a newline. The new design would require a leading backslash almost all the time and a trailing backslash often, which is ugly:
>
> let mystring = "““\
>      text text
>      text text\
>      "““

Agree with Thorsten. This is just ugly syntax for commonly used case.
Why not simple rule that content of multi-line string is all lines *between* leading
and trailing """ ? So, as was discussed, or you have single line """text""" or
multiline, where opening and closing """ should be on separate lines with text, and
text is lines strictly between.
Even more, I feel such solution will be more consistent, as trailing triple quotes
does not inject \n symbol -> so leading """ also should not inject it. In this case
""" is just a marker of start/end of multi-line string. Simple model, nice-looking
code for common cases, can tune emitting of \n symbol as you wish. No?