[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0168: Multi-Line String Literals

Adrian Zubarev adrian.zubarev at devandartist.com
Wed Apr 12 09:19:42 CDT 2017

I messed up the indent in the example, where is the corrected version:

let myReallyLongXMLConstantName = """
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <catalog>
        <book id="bk101" empty="">
            <author>John Doe</author>
            <title>XML Developer's Guide</title>
            <genre>Computer</genre>
            <price>44.95</price>
        </book>
    </catalog>\
    """

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail

Am 12. April 2017 um 16:05:59, Adrian Zubarev (adrian.zubarev at devandartist.com) schrieb:

Hi Brent, thank you for the hard work and the new revision. However I still would love to hear your opinion if we should drop the support for these kind of options:

"""Hello↵
world!"""

"""↵
Hello↵
world!"""

"""Hello↵
world!
"""
I tend to agree that it’s much simpler to only support a single line version and a version where the actual string is in between the delimiter lines but not directly after or before them. Personally I don’t think you would always want to indent your multi-line string that far to the right side.

let myReallyLongXMLConstantName = """<?xml version="1.0"?>
                                     <catalog>
                                        <book id="bk101" empty="">
                                           <author>John Doe</author>
                                           <title>XML Developer's Guide</title>
                                           <genre>Computer</genre>
                                           <price>44.95</price>
                                        </book>
                                     </catalog>\
                                     """
Instead it’s easer and readable enough to write it like this:

let myReallyLongXMLConstantName = """
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
        <catalog>
            <book id="bk101" empty="">
                <author>John Doe</author>
                <title>XML Developer's Guide</title>
                <genre>Computer</genre>
                <price>44.95</price>
            </book>
    </catalog>\
    """
The starting delimiter does not produce a new line, only each line in between does if not explicitly prevented with a backslash. If you’d wanted to add a new line at the top, you just simply add one or \n below the starting delimiter.

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail