[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0168: Multi-Line String Literals

Thorsten Seitz tseitz42 at icloud.com
Mon Apr 10 06:09:09 CDT 2017

> Am 09.04.2017 um 18:29 schrieb John Holdsworth <mac at johnholdsworth.com>:
>
> Hi, John here, the submitter of the proposal.
>
> First up, I must apologise for putting Brent on the spot when I resubmitted this altered proposal from last year. That was my mistake.
>
> Second up, apologies if the proposal is rather vague on details. In some sense this was intentional as I didn’t want to get too bogged down in specifics (and not at all to do with my limitations as a technical writer!)
>
> I guess we need to build up consensus more slowly by asking the following questions separately so it can be resubmitted rather than giving a binary +/-1 on the proposal as it stands.
>
> 1) Does Swift need multi-line string literals?

Yes.

> 2 ) Is “””long strings””” the way to go subject to a discussion about the precise delimiter

Yes.

> 3) Is the “magic" leading whitespace removal a good idea to support indentation.

Yes.

> 4) Does the proposal contain sufficient detail to be discussed/implemented

Thanks for the update! I only have the following issues left:

> All other escapes would be processed as before including interpolation, \n and "
You probably meant \“ instead of " here.

The proposal should state what kind of newline will be used within a multiline string literal. I already proposed that it should be exactly the same as for \n and not the newline character(s) actually used in the file (e.g. LF+CR or LF or CR), to avoid issues when working on different platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux) and/or using Git’s autocrlf feature.

The proposal should give an example how to create a multiline string literal which ends with a newline (AFAIU there should be an empty line before the closing ""“).

-Thorsten